NEW TO SQUASH?
Please see the 'Programming' section to learn more about lessons offered.
For more information, please contact Jo Spencer at
If you're a Junior and want to start this amazing game, I congratulate you because you have chosen a most incredible sport. Here are the steps I'd recommend.
1. Get on Court and wack the ball (your need eye guards sneakers and a racquet). I recommend a 'single yellow dot' ball.
It bounces a bit more (but is not too bouncy). Racquets are available at the spa for hire or borrow one from Derek or Andy
2. Enroll in a junior squash program. Monday is beginner night at the Spa. If we discover you're already skilled you will be moved up to the junior intermediate level. its a good starting point. Space is limited and if there are no spots open, no worries and don't let that stop your progress! see point 3 below:
3. Ask a coach to give you a lesson. A private lesson is awesome, but join up with a pal or 2 and ask for a group rate. It is FUN and you will fast track you skills! Scheedule your own sessions with a coach. They will be happy to get you started.
4. Play in a tournament. I know you're just a beginner, but there are beginner divisions and as long as you can serve we'd LOVE to have you join in a tournament. You'll likely get a t-shirt and there will likely be pizza and snacks and you will have a ball. Its not about winning, its about fun and the thrill of playing. The website has tournament dates. There nothing like a tournament to improve your game...guaranteed!
To find out more please call:
coach John 902 3679572
Welcome fellow squasher, you will LOVE this sport!!! Playing squash is easy... you can't hit the ball too hard, out of bounds or even break it! With a bit of know how you can stretch and make that massive court a lot smaller.. and in the process you will get an amazing work out!!!
We have fantastic advise on how to get started:
1. Get on court and whack the ball around. Don't be scared, just do it. It is easier with a 'single yellow dot' squash ball (bounces more) and the more you hit the ball it actually warms up and bounces even more which makes it easier again. (Balls cost ~$3.00 at sportcheck)
2. There is programming at the spa for beginners. Don't be scared, we all started at some point and we want to show you what fun this sport is. There are racquets for hire and we recommend goggles. Mitch has an introductory class on Thursday evening. He will give you a little instruction and rally with you and coordinate some games. Nothing too overwhelming, just fun....and he's a fantastic guy too!
3. Schedule a lesson. we have fantastic coaches. get a pal or 2 (family member, your kid??) and phone john and ask for an introductory lesson. I gaurantee it will be awesome and you will be chomping for more!!!
4. Play in a tournament. Now, don't be intimidated. If you can serve, there's a beginner division for you. It's not about competing, its more to do with the fun you'll have, meeting new players, the wonderful socials and of course the work out. Have you heard about squash butt? it quite the thing to experience!
coach John 902 3679572